Their future is our future.
Social-Emotional Learning Teaching Kit
Today's schools are increasingly multicultural and multilingual with students from diverse social and economic backgrounds. Educators serve students with different motivations for engaging in learning, behaving positively, and performing academically.
Social-emotional learning (SEL) helps improve kids' academic performance, curtail bullying, reduce dropout rates, and build character. Well-implemented SEL programs positively affect students' success in school. The SEL Kit provides coordinated teaching and development strategies focused on helping students deal with their emotions and the world around them. Students learn how to deal with aggression, stress, and negative emotions and understand the importance of teamwork, self-discipline, and mutual respect.
Grade Levels: 1st - 6th Grade
A comprehensive toolkit of expert-designed resources to captivate your students and create engaging learning experiences
Dedicated App: The app makes teaching using robots and the included lesson plans very easy. It doesn’t require knowledge of the fundamentals of robot programming – it has been designed so that any teacher will be able to carry out all the experiments “with one click”.
- Photon robot (1)
- User’s guide
- Set of 50 lesson plans
- Educational mats (plain grid & storytelling)
- Educational cube (a soft sponge customizable cube that can be used with flashcards or student-created cards)
- Play/counting sticks (300 - improve counting skills and make geometric shapes)
- Flashcards (5 sets)
- Symbols used in the Photon app (24 pcs.)
- Emotions and characters (25 pcs.)
- Objects and places (25 pcs.)
- Alphabet and numbers (24 pcs.)
- Situations, attitudes, & stress management (18 pcs.)
All activities in the Kit are based on the leading Social-Emotional Learning methodology developed by CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning).
Key elements include:
The abilities to understand one’s own emotions, thoughts, and values and how they influence behavior across contexts. This includes capacities to recognize one’s strengths and limitations with a well-grounded sense of confidence and purpose.
- Integrating personal and social identities
- Identifying personal, cultural, and linguistic assets
- Identifying one’s emotions
- Demonstrating honesty and integrity
- Linking feelings, values, and thoughts
- Examining prejudices and biases
- Experiencing self-efficacy
- Having a growth mindset
- Developing interests and a sense of purpose
The abilities to manage one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations and to achieve goals and aspirations. This includes the capacities to delay gratification, manage stress, and feel motivation and agency to accomplish personal and collective goals.
- Managing one’s emotions
- Identifying and using stress management strategies
- Exhibiting self-discipline and self-motivation
- Setting personal and collective goals
- Using planning and organizational skills
- Showing the courage to take initiative
- Demonstrating personal and collective agency
The abilities to establish and maintain healthy and supportive relationships and to effectively navigate settings with diverse individuals and groups. This includes the capacities to communicate clearly, listen actively, cooperate, work collaboratively to problem solve and negotiate conflict constructively, navigate settings with differing social and cultural demands and opportunities, provide leadership, and seek or offer help when needed.
- Communicating effectively
- Developing positive relationships
- Demonstrating cultural competency
- Practicing teamwork and collaborative problem-solving
- Resolving conflicts constructively
- Resisting negative social pressure
- Showing leadership in groups
- Seeking or offering support and help when needed
- Standing up for the rights of others
The abilities to understand the perspectives of and empathize with others, including those from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and contexts. This includes the capacities to feel compassion for others, understand broader historical and social norms for behavior in different settings, and recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- Taking others’ perspectives
- Recognizing strengths in others
- Demonstrating empathy and compassion
- Showing concern for the feelings of others
- Understanding and expressing gratitude
- Identifying diverse social norms, including unjust ones
- Recognizing situational demands and opportunities
- Understanding the influences of organizations and systems on behavior
The abilities to make caring and constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions across diverse situations. This includes the capacities to consider ethical standards and safety concerns, and to evaluate the benefits and consequences of various actions for personal, social, and collective well-being.
- Demonstrating curiosity and open-mindedness
- Learning how to make a reasoned judgment after analyzing information, data, and facts
- Identifying solutions for personal and social problems
- Anticipating and evaluating the consequences of one’s actions
- Recognizing how critical thinking skills are useful both inside and outside of school
- Reflecting on one’s role to promote personal, family, and community well-being
- Evaluating personal, interpersonal, community, and institutional impacts
All lesson plans and teaching resources in the kit are fully adapted to the age and skills of students in terms of methodology and content.
Download sample lesson plans by filling out the form below.
Browse all of the Photon Teaching Kits
Robotics & Coding
Interested in the Photon Social-Emotional Learning Teaching Kit?
Complete the form below and we will be in touch shortly!